|In which projects get completed:
||[Oct. 30th, 2007|02:48 pm]
So this somehow ended up being the month in which I reached a couple of milestones and finished some projects:
1) The ceiling is painted. It looks great.
2) The bamboo floor is installed, paid for, and the furniture is (mostly) back in place. It looks great. I’ve had my turntable/stereo unhooked and in another room while the floor was going in, and it sucked to be without it for 2 weeks. At least I’ll have more playback choices while I finish putting the room back together and re-filing all my CDs that also had to be moved out while the floor was installed.
3) There was this built-in wooden cabinet that I started stripping and sanding about 3 years ago. Well, I finally got all the paint off, stained it, put the doors back on, and am actually USING it to STORE my toiletries. I wanted it done before the floors were in. and so it is. It looks okay. Not great, but better than when it had 3 million coats of paint on it. And I’m DONE with it, which is the important thing.
4) I have now watched all available DVDs of The Wire. No season 4 until Dec 4, 2007. It’s hard to admit this much anticipation over a mere TV show, but I’m seriously jonesing. I haven’t felt this kind of “ooh, what will happen next?” since the last episode of Lost that aired however many months/years ago.
5) I suspect only signifier will understand the enormity of this one: After becoming a fan of Momus about 7 years ago, I have just tracked down and ordered the one out of print full length (on the Creation label) that eluded me. I believe this will be the 19th Momus album for me. The only one left to obtain is the one released last year, which is easily gotten used from amazon and therefore doesn’t have the sense of conquest that this penultimate acquisition does. And even better: this will be the only one I’ve gotten on vinyl, and it was under $12, including shipping. Anyone who has ever liked a musician that recorded mostly for import labels 10-20 years ago might understand my delight , even if you have no idea who Momus is.
6) I am on the 26th (!!) and final CD of the audiobook I started right after Burning Man. That would be 32 hours of “Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell”, read in 40 minute bursts while driving to and from work. I’ve enjoyed it, but honestly I’ll just be glad to see it end so I can read something else in the car before the year is up. I’ve been with this book so long, I feel like I’m dating it.
7) Speaking of, though this technically happens in November, it’s close enough to note here: in 3 weeks, Paul and I will have been dating a year. And unlike SOME people I’ve dated in the past, he’s managed to stay with me this long without breaking up with me and then getting back together with me days later, moving in with me, or proposing. I continue to be happy with the way that’s going, even though it means spending my Christmas holiday meeting his family in Yucktown, located in the Commonwealth of Faraway. But hey, that’s the karmic price you pay for getting all 19 Momus albums.